Healthy-ish Chicken Enchiladas
Hold the tacos and make these Chicken Enchiladas with a healthy twist this year for cinco de mayo instead!
- 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp chili powder
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Large Sweet Potato Cut into 1/2 inch cubes - 2 smaller ones will suffice as well
- 1 15oz can Black Beans Preferably organic, such as Westbrae Natural, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tomato, medium in size, chopped Any tomato will work as long as it is ripe
- 1/2 cup Frozen Corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup Red Onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro, minced Or other fresh minced herb of choice, like Parsley
- 2 Tbsp lime juice About half of one small lime
- 1 Tsp Salt Plus more, to taste
- 1 7oz package Tres Latin Foods Red Enchilada Sauce Or other Enchilada sauce of choice
- 1/2 cup Siete Foods Vegan Cashew Queso Or other Queso of choice
- 1 package Siete Foods Almond Flour Tortillas You will use 6-8, depending on how full you like your Enchiladas. Any tortillas will work for this recipe!
- 1 avocado Cut Into slices or wedges, to serve (optional)
- Fresh Cilantro To serve (optional)
- Siete Foods Hot Sauce Or other preferred hot sauce (optional)
Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine spice mixture and salt in a small bowl. Evenly coat chicken breasts with half of spice mixture and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
Add cubed sweet potatoes, olive oil and remaining half of spice mixture in a medium bowl and toss to coat. Spread sweet potatoes in an even layer on the same baking sheet as the chicken - reserve bowl for later use. Bake chicken and sweet potatoes for 30 minutes.
While chicken and sweet potatoes cook, add rinsed can of black beans to the reserved medium bowl. Remove chicken and sweet potatoes from the oven and add sweet potatoes to bowl with black beans. Shred or roughly chop chicken and add to bowl with beans and sweet potatoes and mix well. Keep oven on at 400F
Combine chopped tomato, onion, corn, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a bowl. Mix well and add more salt as needed. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Spread 1/4 cup of Enchilada mixture evenly on the bottom of a casserole dish or cast iron skillet. Starting with the first tortilla, spread a spoonful of Queso in a line down the center of the tortilla and top with a few spoonfuls of the chicken, bean and sweet potato filling. Roll up the tortilla and place it seam side down in your baking dish or skillet. Repeat with remaining tortillas. You will probably have extra filling - save that to use for nachos or tacos.
Spread remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas and evenly disperse. Top with remaining queso, cover with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Remove enchiladas from the oven and top with a few spoonfuls of salsa, hot sauce, avocado and cilantro (if using).
Healthy-ish Chicken Enchiladas
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 1034kcalCarbohydrates: 126gProtein: 43gFat: 41gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 1478mgPotassium: 1799mgFiber: 17gSugar: 16gVitamin A: 17226IUVitamin C: 34mgCalcium: 228mgIron: 7mg