Lori Brown · Sep 10, 2016 · 1 min read
When I was growing up my grandma used to cook and bake all of the time. I was the baker in the family with Grandma. Before she passed away, she hand wrote her recipes for me and I am going to share them with you. Some of them are left up for interpretation so I will do my best.
Grandma Brown's Frozen Custard
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon juiced You can use one or the other or both of these
- 1 tsp vanilla You can use one or the other or both of these
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- graham cracker crumbs or vanilla wafers to line the pan with or buy a pre-made crust at the store
- melted butter to line the pan with or buy a pre-made crust at the store
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and save both.
- Beat together the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice or vanilla or both, in a double boiler for 10 minutes or until it thickens.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Beat the egg whites
- Once the mixture is cool, add the beaten egg whites and the whipping cream.
- Line tray with graham cracker crumbs or vanilla wafer crumbs mixed with melted butter as the crust. When grandma did this she used a 9 X 12 glass baking dish. Or purchase a pre-made crust at the store (as pictured).
- Pour in mixture, you can cover lightly with more crumbs if you used that method (not as pictured) and freeze.
- Serve frozen. Top with whipped cream (as pictured) or your favorite topping, if you so choose.