Abby Allen · Jan 11, 2021 · 2 min read
This weather is "mandatory soup time", and this time of year is also "lose a few pounds time". What's a hungry soul to do? How about the little bit healthier version of a crowd favorite - Healthier Zuppa Toscana!?!?! (Sponsored by Rollin' Oats where you can get all the ingredients.)
Healthy-ish Zuppa Toscana
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Or any other fat of choice, such as butter.
- 1 lb Sausage I recommend ground Italian sausage, but feel free to use whatever sausage you would like!
- 1 White Onion Diced
- 5 cloves Garlic Minced
- 5-6 Red Potatoes Medium in size, cut into 1" cubes
- 4 cups Bone Broth Use a high-quality bone broth like Bonafide Provisions which is found in the freezer section
- 1 13.5 oz can Coconut Milk Full-fat
- 2 bunches Lacinato Kale Ribs removed, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Oregano Fresh oregano is best
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- Add butter, olive oil or fat of choice to a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add in the sausage and cook until meal begins to brown, 8-10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove sausage from pot, add to a medium bowl and reserve until later.
- Carefully add onion and garlic to the pot and saute until both have softened and are very fragrant, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and 1 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Mix in potatoes and chicken broth, stir to combine and season with more salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium high. When soup begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer with the lid on for 10-12 minutes, or until the potatoes have softened and are fork-tender.
- Mix in coconut milk and kale and and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Taste and season with more salt as needed.
- Ladle approximately 2 cups of soup into a high-powered blender and blend until soup is well pureed. Carefully pour mixutre back into soup (this is to help thicken the soup) and stir to combine.
- Add reserved browned sausage back into the soup, along with fresh oregano. Stir and season as needed with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with more fresh oregano.