Abby Allen · Feb 8, 2021 · 3 min read
In search of an impressive, low-fuss dish to serve at that dinner party you agreed to host? Craving a decadent meal on a Wednesday night where time spared for dinner is sparse? Or, perhaps you're longing for a luxurious meal that also leans on the healthier side? Well, I have a recipe capable of satisfying all three of those scenarios - queue, Shrimp Fra Diavolo with Toasted Breadcrumbs.
With this rendition, though, I made a couple of health-conscious swaps, while still maintaining the integrity of the original recipe. While there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a beautiful batch of Linguine (especially when it's freshly handcrafted), for this recipe, I opted to leave the gluten on the bench, and instead, chose to use Banza's Chickpea Pasta Linguine. Banza is gluten free and contains half of the carbs that regular pasta does. In my opinion and experience with cooking with Banza, your guests will likely not notice any difference!
If you shop at Rollin' Oats with regularity like I do, you won't ever have a problem finding Banza products, as they always have an array in stock. In addition to the Banza, all of the ingredients for this dish can be found at Rollin' Oats! Yes, even the shrimp, which are located on the back wall in the frozen section. They're even already peeled and deveined, which makes your life THAT much easier.
The other swaps that I made for this recipe were minor: fresh herbs for dried, extra crushed red pepper and the addition of toasted breadcrumbs, which makes for the perfect crunchy topping.
How to Make Shrimp Fra Diavolo
Shrimp Fra Diavolo with Toasted Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Butter Preferably grass-fed, like Vital Farms
- 1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs Panko, or fresh grated breadcrumbs work well!
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil Roughly chopped
Shrimp Fra Diavolo
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Red Onion Medium in size, chopped
- 8 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2/3 Cup Dry White Wine Always cook with a wine that you would drink!
- 1 lb Shrimp Peeled and deveined
- 1 28 Ounce Can Crushed Tomatoes Organic is preferred
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Oregano
- 1 8 Ounce Box Banza Linguine
- 1 Tbsp Salt Plus more, to taste
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper Plus more, to taste
- Fresh Basil Chopped, for garnish
- Parmesan Cheese Grated, for garnish
- Melt 1 tbsp Butter in a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and stir occasionally until they begin to toast and turn golden, 5-7 minutes.
- Scrape toasted breadcrumbs into a medium bowl and mix in fresh chopped basil and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and set aside .
Shrimp Fra Diavolo
- In the same pot that you used to make the breadcrumbs, add remaining 2 tbsp of butter and melt over medium heat. Add chopped onion, 1/2 tbsp of the salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until onion has softened and is very fragrant, 5-7 minutes.
- Add in minced garlic and 1 tbsp of the crushed red pepper flakes. Stir until fragrent, 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully add shrimp to pot in an even layer and sprinkle with other 1/2 tbsp of salt. Cook the shrimp 2 minutes on each side. Pour in the wine and allow mixture to simmer until reducted by half, 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and oregano. Stir to combine, taste for seasoning and add remaining crushed red pepper for additional heat and salt, as needed. Reduce the heat and simmer. In the meantime, Cook pasta 1 minute-less than package instructions and set aside, reserving 1 cup of pasta cooking water.
- Remove sauce mixture from the heat. Add in cooked pasta, a few splashed of the pasta water and some of the grated parmesan (if using). Using tongs or large spoons, stir to combine and add more cooking water and salt, as needed.
- To serve, top with toasted breadcrumbs and fresh basil and grated parmesan, if using.