Abby Allen · Sep 8, 2020 · 3 min read
One of the most wonderful times of the year is upon us - peak tomato season! From late summer, to early fall, tomatoes are in their absolute prime. From vibrant, eye-catching heirlooms, to juicy grape and vine ripe tomatoes - you should be cooking with these beautiful fruits as often as possible.
Tomatoes are a part of the starting lineup for a number of dishes, but my all-time favorite number to craft with these perfectly ripe beauties is a BLT. Just the thought alone of this classic sandwich is enough to make my mouth water. Crisp bacon, fresh greens, satisfyingly crunchy toast, creamy mayonnaise and luscious tomatoes - it's truly the package deal.
It goes without saying, you don't need a lot of ingredients to create a great dish - you just need a handful of quality ingredients. That's why for this simple sandwich that packs a punch, all of the ingredients were picked up from Rollin' Oats. Rollin' Oats has the best of the best, in my opinion, when it comes to organic, clean and natural products.
It doesn't get much easier than assembling this summery BLT. It's comprised of Dave's Killer organic bread, organic tomatoes, basil and lettuce, Sir Kensington's Mayonnaise, Vital Farms grass-fed butter and Niman Ranch natural bacon - that's it.
As if the BLT alone isn't idyllic enough, why not pair it with a refreshing glass of wine? Our wine expert, Ken Smith, suggests a lush Rosé, specifically from Provence. Ken states that the mineral notes are superb for offsetting the bacon and mayonnaise.
BLT with Basil Mayonnaise
- 4 slices Bread Dave's Killer organic bread is always my suggestion!
- 6 slices Bacon I like Niman Ranch's Applewood Smoked
- 2 Ripe Tomatoes Sliced into 6-8 rounds. Use whatever you can find that is ripe, such as Beefsteak, Hierloom, or Vine Ripe
- 4-6 leaves Butter Lettuce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Basil Leaves A loosely packed half cup of fresh basil leaves, that is
- 2 tbsp butter Vital Farms grass-fed is always my go-to
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line to baking sheets with parchment. Place the bacon in a single layer on one sheet, and place the bread on the other. Melt butter and evenly distribute with a spoon or basting brush evenly on each slice of bread. Put bacon on the top rack and sheet with bread on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until both are crisp, but not burnt.
- While bacon and bread bake, make the basil mayonnaise. Add Mayo, basil and olive oil to a food processor and process until well combined - about one minute. Alternative, roughly chop all basil and stir to combine in a bowl with mayonnaise and olive oil.
- when bacon and bread are done, remove from the oven. Place bacon onto a paper towel-lined plate to absorb some grease.
- To assemble each sandwich, start with spreading a spoonfuls or two of basil mayo onto one side of each piece of toasted bread. Top the bottom piece of toast with a few pieces of lettuce, followed by 3-4 slices of tomato, 3 slices of bacon, and finish with last piece of toasted bread with basil mayo. Slice and enjoy!
- *Pro tip: if you have extra fresh basil, add a few leaves to each sandwich - you won't be disappointed!