Abby Allen · Aug 10, 2020 · 2 min read
One of the best parts about this shrimp recipe is that it has the ability to evolve into any number of dishes - don't limit yourself to just the shrimp, alone. Turn them into the shining star during your next taco night, add them to your favorite salad, use them to top off a plate of crispy rice, enjoy them on a flatbread, or simply devour them as a light summer appetizer.
The ingredient list is minimal - in fact, you probably have a lot of the items in your refrigerator or pantry already. Additionally, minimal cooking is required. In fact, cook time is only about six minutes total.
Do yourself a favor and use this Scallion-Lemon relish on more than just these shrimp! This relish would be idyllic on steak, chicken or perhaps even drizzled over some eggs with some sliced avocado for brunch - sign me up!
When marinating the shrimp, be sure not to exceed the 30 minute mark, as we do not want the marinade to "cook" the shrimp. Speaking of shrimp, did you know that, in addition to the other ingredients for this recipe, you can also find them at Rollin' Oats! They aren't fresh, but, they're in the freezer section and are already peeled and deveined, so, all you need to do is thaw them.
Gochugaru flakes are the only item that you may not find at Rollin' Oats, but, that isn't a make or break deal for the recipe! Simply substitute the same amount of red pepper flakes, or, if heat isn't your thing (there isn't much in this recipe), you can simply omit.
Grilled Soy Shrimp Skewers with Scallion-Lemon Relish
Grilled Soy Shrimp
- 24 Shrimp Medium in size, fresh or frozen, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mirin
- 2 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 tsp Gochugaru Flakes You can use red pepper flakes instead
- 1 bunch scallions Sliced into small, thin rounds
- Zest and Juice of 2 Lemons
- 1 Shallot minced
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Salt Plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper Plus more to taste
- If you're using bamboo skewers as your skewer of choice, let them soak in water for 30 minutes prior to using in order to avoid splintering. If you're using metal skewers, ignore this step.
- Combine all ingredients for the shrimp marinade in a medium bowl. Add shrimp and then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While shrimp marinates, combine all ingredients for the Scallion relish in a medium bowl except the olive oil. Slowly stream in olive oil while whisking, simultaneously, until ingredients are well combined. Set aside until ready to serve.
- When the shrimp are finished marinating, thread them onto the skewers - six shrimp, per skewer.
- Prepare a grill for high heat (alternatively, heat a cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat). Oil grates/skillet.
- Grill/cook each skewer 3 minutes per side, turning once, until lightly charred on both sides
- Add grilled shrimp skewers to serving platter and top with spoonfuls of Scallion-Lemon Relish.